Six employees of the Landfill are recovering after being exposed to a pesticide being sprayed on a nearby orange orchard. Firefighters along with Environmental Health and the Highway Patrol responded to the landfill just before noon Saturday.
Fire officials say the spraying operation at the orchard had to be shut down while the employees that were exposed to the insecticide known as NUFOS were found. Six landfill employees with inhalation and skin exposure were evaluated. Some employees were treated for nausea and breathing difficulties. Others experienced minor vomiting and breathing difficulties.
All of the employees were decontaminated with soap and water inside two separate guard shacks at the landfill. Four female employees were taken to the hospital as a precaution. Two others were treated at the scene. There were no reports of injuries to firefighters.